Whittier Weekly: April 19, 2016
Mark your calendar: the 2016 Jaguar Jog will be September 18th!
Interested in helping? The first Jaguar Jog committee meeting is Wednesday, May 18th
- 2016 Jaguar Jog Planning Meeting – Wednesday, May 18
- Poem in Your Pocket – Thursday, April 21
- Author to Visit Whittier – May 2nd
- Experiences are still available
- Fun Lunch Volunteers Needed
- District 58 Authors Fest
- District 58 Student Registration Open
- District 58 2016/2017 School Calendar Available
- Upcoming Events at Whittier
1. Jaguar Jog Planning Meeting
Now that the Spring Fundraiser has come to a close, it’s time to talk about the Jaguar Jog…. yep thats right! It is right around the corner : ) PLEASE SAVE THE DATE for our 2016 Jaguar Jog – September 18th! Please join us for a committer meeting if you would like to be involved on Wednesday, May 18th at 7:30pm. (326 5th st). Also if you own or know someone who owns a business and would like to sponsor our race please PM me. It is not to early to let us know if you would like to sponsor an intersection as well : )
2. Poem In Your Pocket
Thursday, April 21st is our 2nd annual celebration of Put a Poem in Your Pocket Day.
As a way of celebrating National Poetry Month, students will carry either a copy of a favorite poem OR an original poem in their pockets. Throughout the day, students from each grade level will share readings of their pocket poems over the loudspeaker. Each classroom will select three students to share their poetry at some time during the day.
Even if you are not selected to read, you can still share poetry with your friends that day by participating in TAKE A POEM, GIVE A POEM. There are manypoem pockets on the windows of the LRC, containing favorite children’s poems or verses by the world’s most famous poets. Any Whittier student can take a poem any time during the next week to carry with them and share with their friends. The only catch is: if you take a poem, you also have to leave apoem. The poem you leave can be one you’ve written yourself or one copied from a favorite poet. Origami paper is available in the LRC for you to writepoems, or you are free to use your own paper.
3. Whittier Author Visit
Whittier Elementary is delighted to welcome author John Bemelmans Marciano and award-winning illustrator Sophie Blackall on Monday, May 2nd. Mr. Marciano and Ms. Blackall will talk with students about their careers and their new book series The Witches of Benevento.
4. Still Time to Sign-Up for Experiences!
SHRED (Sunday, April 24th) $20 per person
Healthy Living Experience (Sunday, May 15th (1-2 pm) $20 per person
Father/Son Fun Night (Wednesday, June 1st 5-7:30 pm) $25 per student
Family Movie Night (Saturday, June 4th) $30 per family
Kubb Tournament (Saturday, August 27th) $30 player/$25 spectator
Contact Carla Giannelli for any questions or to get more information at 331-481-1618.
5. Fun Lunch Volunteers Needed
Be kind and register online to volunteer for Fun Lunch. Link is below or go to the PTA Website / Activities / Fun Lunch
6. District 58 Authors Fest
See flyer that details the Author Fest Book Sale & Signing being held at the Downers Grove Public Library on Friday, April 15th from 6:30-8:00 p.m. Please note that participants need not purchase a book at the event to participate. They may bring their own copy of the book to have signed.
7. Student Registration Open
2016-17 Registration Reminder
-Please register your child online by Friday, May 13.
-Return the completed Registration Checklist to the school office.
If you do not wish to register your child online, please contact the school office to obtain paper copies of the registration forms, or download and print them from the school website.
You can choose to pay your fees at the time of registration or pay them this summer. However, all fees are due prior to the start of the 2016-17 school year.
-Please return all registration paperwork to the school office by May 13.
-To secure placement in OKEEP, families are required to pay the first installment of $345 by May 13
8. District 58 2016/2017 School Calendar
9. Upcoming Dates at Whittier
- Tues April 19 – Northside Elementary Orchestra (Gr 4) and Chamber Strings concert 7 pm HMS
- Wed April 20 DGCC Concert 7 pm HMS
- Thurs April 21 Kindergarten Brookfield Zoo trip all attend 8:20-2:00 DG58 Fit Fair, 6-8pm OMS
- Fri April 22 – Student Council Silly Sock Day Fun Lunch
- April 25 – April 29 Spring Book Fair
- Tues Apr 26 Student Count Crazy Hair and Hat Day
- Wed April 27 Administrative Professionals Day / Kids Council 8:20
- Thurs April 28 Open House 6:30 -8:30
- Fri April 29 Whittier Blue and Gold Day
- May 2-6 Staff Appreciation Week
- Fri May 6 Whittier Blue and Gold Spirit Day, Fun Lunch
- May 9 -13 Student Council Spirit Week Color Week
- Monday – Wear your favorite color
- Tues Wear Red
- Wed Wear Blue & Gold
- Thurs Wear Purple
- Fri – Rainbow day
- Mon May 8 – Grades 1 and 2 Music Program at 9;00
- Fri May 13 Historical Perspectives Assembly Registration for 2016/2017 is due
- Tues May 17 PTA Meeting 7:00pm
- Friday, April 22, 2016: Fun Lunch Great American Bagel
- Friday, May 6, 2016: Fun Lunch Buona Beef
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, May 30, 2016: Memorial Day, No School
- Friday, June 3, 2016: Last Day of School
- Last day of Kindergarter is Thursday June 2, 2016