Whittier Weekly: April 7, 2015
“The secret to your future is hidden in your daily routine.”
– Mike Murdock
Welcome back to the regular routine! We hope you had a wonderful spring break with your family and are ready for the final leg of the school year.
Candidates Slated for PTA Co-Vice President/President-Elect Positions:
At the March PTA meeting, the slating committee announced Karrie Donat and Carla Giannelli as the candidates for the co-vice president/president-elect positions that will open up as Tiffany Kuelthau and Debbie Levinthal, current co-vice presidents, assume the PTA co-president positions for the 2015-2016 school year. Thanks to all four of these women for their willingness to lead the Whittier PTA into the next year, along with secretary Amy Ihde and treasurer Corinne Potter who will be serving the second year of their terms in office.
The co-vice president/president-elect positions will be officially voted on at the April PTA meeting. Please attend this meeting if you are able to.
2015 Jaguar Jog Update:
A major thank you goes out to Amy Cable who has volunteered to chair the Jaguar Jog this coming fall! Thank you also to the many PTA members who have already volunteered to help on the Jaguar Jog committee. Stay tuned for more information about the Jaguar Jog planning efforts and how you can get involved, and mark your calendar now for Sunday, September 20th as the date for the 2015 Jaguar Jog.
Upcoming PTA Meeting Dates:
- April 21 @ 7:00 p.m. at Whittier (Jaguar Jungle) – PTA Volunteer Fair / Monthly PTA General Membership Meeting
- May 19 @ 7:00 p.m. at Whittier (Jaguar Jungle) – Final Monthly PTA General Membership Meeting of the Year
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you for all of your support!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Thank you to everyone who has signed up for experience events for the LP4P Spring Fundraiser! Thank you also to the many families who are hosting these events! If you weren’t able to make it to the fundraiser but would like to sign up for any of the events for Whittier students, families, or adults only, the following experiences are still open for registration:
Events for Children
- Scavenger Hunt – May 17th from 3-4pm. Cost is $10 per participant. Open to K-6th grade
- Kids Running Club – 4/10-5/15 (6 Fridays) from 3:00-3:45pm. Cost is $30 per participant. Open to 2nd-6th grade.
- Fair Game Party – April 27th from 4-6pm. Cost is $15 per participant. Open to 4th-6th grade.
- Mother’s Day Craft – May 6th from 3-4 pm. Cost: $10 per participant. Open to K-6th grade.
- Ultimate Frisbee – April 28th(*Rain Date: May 5th) from 3-4:45 pm. Cost is $15 per participant. Open to 1st-6th grade.
Events for Families
- Mother/Daughter Fun Night – May 7th from 6:30-8 pm. Cost is $30 per mother/daughter pair. Open to K-6th grade.
- Father/Son Fun Night – June 2nd from 5-7pm. Cost is $20/father-son pair, $5 more per additional son. Open to K-6th grade.
- Family Movie Night – June 13th, opens at 7pm – movie at dusk. Cost is $30 per family. Open to Whittier families.
Events for Adults Only
- Mixology Party – Ladies Night – May 29th at 7pm. Cost is $25 per participant.
- Toga Party – August 28th at 7:30 pm. Cost is $30 per participant.
Market Day: April Orders due on Saturday!
There are only a few more months to order Market Day before summer – be sure to stock up on all of your favorite Market Day meals and snacks now! Order forms went home with your child before Spring Break. All orders must be placed by 11:00pm on Saturday, April 11 either online at Marketday.com or by calling Market Day customer service at 877-632-7753. As a reminder, you must pre-pay for your order with a credit card.
Thank you for your support! If you have any questions, please contact Kellie Miller at (812) 204-4384 or Amy Gassen at (630) 971-0689
Super Science Kids Spring sign up is here!
Sign up flyers were sent home last week for the Super Science Kids spring session. Spots are filling up quickly, so send in your form today! An electronic flyer is attached for your convenience. SuperScienceKidsWW.2015
Class sessions are as follows:
Grades 2-3: Wednesdays, 3:00-4:10pm
Grades 4-6: Tuesdays, 3:00-4:10pm
Please contact Wendy Carter with any questions at 630-696-0553 Supersciencekids1@att.net
Social Emotional Learning: Girls and Puberty
Save the Date: Wednesday April 15th from 7-8pm in the Jaguar Gym.
**Please note, an invitation is being extended to 2nd grade parents of girls
Parent of girls in grades 2nd through 6th grade are invited to a presentation, followed by a question & answer session about the changes our daughters begin to go through as they enter puberty. Sara Felker will present on the Social and Emotional changes. In addition, a pediatrician will be there to discuss the physical changes girls experience during the onset of puberty.
More information to follow. Presented by the Whittier Social Emotional Learning Committee.Please RSVP and send questions you would like answered to Debbie Levinthal at email@example.com
The Authors Are Coming….
Has your family room couch grown lumpy with google-eyed blobs that resemble your children, glued to the screen of their current fancy? Or, conversely, do you never even see them…shouting ‘is your reading done?’ at the dust cloud left hanging where their little bodies used to be? Has the conclusion of OBOS and Reading Games left your family bereft of reading inspiration? Well cue the hero music, my friends, because, like a white knight on a galloping steed, Authors Fest is fast approaching!
Whittier is delighted to host authors Barb Rosenstock and Blue Balliett on April 16 and 17 for the bi-annual PTA Author’s Fest event. Our authors will be speaking to all grade levels*, discussing their many published works and talking to our children about writing, books, and how they do the work they love. They will also be at the Downers Grove Public Library, along with authors Tom Watson and Laura Huliska-Beith, for a book sale and signing on Friday, April 17. Book sale starts at 6:30 PM, with signing to follow from 7-8 PM.
How does this help you with your blobs and disappearing dust-clouders? Elementary, my dear parent pals! Get yourselves to the library or bookstore and pick up a book or two by one of our authors for your kids! Have a question about the book? They can ask the author when they MEET her at school or at the library! Love the book to pieces? Get your copy SIGNED! Little encourages reading more than finding a niche you know you’ll enjoy…maybe these authors are the niche your kids have been looking for! Happy reading!
*Presentations at school will take place in the afternoon. AM Kindergarteners are welcome to return to school with a parent/carer to participate in Authors Fest. Details to follow.
- Friday, April 10: Kindergarten Round-Up
- Friday, April 10: Skuddlebutts Fun Lunch
- Saturday, April 11: Market Day Orders Due
- Wednesday, April 15: SEL Presentation: Girls and Puberty
- Thursday, April 16: Market Day Pick-Up (1:45 – 2:45)
- Friday, April 17: Author Fest Book Signing at DG Library
- Friday, April 24: McDonald’s Fun Lunch
- Friday, May 8: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed