Whittier Weekly – August 14
With school starting just next week, we have many exciting updates for our families!
- Whittier Clean Up Day: Help pull weeds and plant some new flowers to help prepare the Whittier grounds for the first day. A babysitter will be available on the playground, as well as some extra gloves and tools, but bring what you can! TODAY Wednesday, August 14th from 4-6:30PM, Whittier School
- Family Fun Night @ City BBQ: Come catch up with friends and let City BBQ do the cooking as we begin our first full week at School. Please show the attached barcode and 25% of your spend will go to the Whittier PTA to help fund many great events! All day on Monday, August 26, City BBQ, 1034 Ogden Avenue, Downers Grove
- Whittier Walking Club: Calling for Parent (or Grandparent) volunteers! Every Tuesday (from 11:30-12:30) during the fall and spring, students are challenged to walk or run laps around the school building during recess. With every lap completed, students earn “Cat Cash” to spend at the Walking Club Parent volunteers help keep track of the students, hand out “Cat Cash”, and manage the Walking Club Store. It is a great way to see your kids in action! We are in need of five volunteers per week – starting Tuesday, September 17th. Visit the PTA’s Walking Club page for more information and to sign up to volunteer: https://whittierschoolpta.org/volun…/walking-club-volunteers/ or e-mail Tess Spector with questions at email@example.com
- After School Theatre Program: Registration is now open for Whittier’s new program. This musical theater program is open to all students (K-6) and is offered through the BAM Theater Company. The program will run this fall (starting on Sept. 20) for 12 weeks on Fridays from 3-4:30 in the Whittier Gym. Students will learn and perform Seussical the Musical in December! Click here to register: https://ticketpeak.com/res/bam/classes, or for more info visit: https://www.bamtheatre.com/whittier-school . Contact Katy Anderman with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fun Lunch: Beginning on August 20, you will have the opportunity to order for your kiddos for several Fridays in the first semester of the year. We have included a new vendor (welcome, ChiShack), different choices, and of course, lots of tasty lunch options for the children.
- Register for the PTA Website: This site is only available to current Whittier families and faculty as it does include personal information and financials for our organization. The email address used here is also where the Whittier Weekly (weekly newsletter) will be sent. You do this once and don’t need to register every year. https://whittierschoolpta.org/register-ww/
- Join the PTA 2019-2020*: This is where you can sign up to purchase a paper copy of the directory, advertise in the directory (paper and/or the Directory Spot mobile app), make an Angel Donation, and/or sign up to get more involved (like being a room parent!). If you’d like a paper form or if you have ANY questions, please let me know. https://whittierschoolpta.org/join/. *Teachers/Staff, please register here (https://whittierschoolpta.org/teachers-join/).
- Whittier DirectorySpot: If you were already in the directory, it has been updated with the student grades for 2019-2020. Once class lists are available, the teacher assignments will be updated. If you have no additional updates, you don’t need to do anything, although it couldn’t hurt to check over your information as we moved to a new format last year. If your contact info has changed, please update it here. To gain access to the online directory, you must first join the PTA (step #2 above). With your paid membership you will be set up with a DirectorySpot account. You will receive an email from DirectorySpot, but if you miss it you can go directly to https://www.directoryspot.net and create an account. Just be sure to use the same email that you used to register for the PTA. We are still offering the option to purchase a printed directory, available when you register for the PTA. You will need to do this step annually. The directory is used for Whittier families only, and can be used to contact classmates and parents. https://www.directoryspot.net