Whittier Weekly: February 9, 2016
*Kindergarten Round-Up April 8 from 9:00-10:00 am*
No School This Friday, February 12, 2016
Our next PTA meeting is February 16, 2016
Please plan to join us at our next General PTA Meeting on Tuesday February 16th at 7pm in the LRC. Babysitting will be available. We will be discussing and finalizing plans for the final year of fundraising for the Playground Initiative. This project will go to bid in February of 2017. We would love your input, involvement and support. We plan to move this up in the agenda for those that need to sneak out early.
- PTA Openings
- LRC News – Whittier Reads and Young Authors
- District PTA Building Bridges Meeting Information
- Spring Fundraiser LP4P 2
- Spring Fundraising Meeting February 15th at 9:30
- Fun Lunch Volunteers Needed
- Science Night
- Reading Specialist Christy Girgits Available for Conferences
- Kindergarten Round-Up
1. PTA Openings – We Need YOU!
Thank you to those that have filled the open positions. Opportunities still exist to serve in our PTA! Don’t be shy and apply!
The link below provides a summary of the different committees. In addition to needing several committee chairs, we need volunteers to help with different activites.
Variety Show – Shadow for next year (to chair the following year):
As a shadow you will work closely with Melissa Rausch in all aspects of the Variety Show production.
You will help set show and performance schedule, secure Whittier rehearsal rooms, distribute and collect act registrants, organize order of show, write script, supervise Friday rehearsals at Whittier, develop stage directions (light and sound cues), coordinate & supervise tech, dress and Tivoli rehearsals, call sound and light cues (using stage directions) during Tivoli performance.
There are many aspects of this job that Melissa does now that can be delegated to multiple volunteers (and there are many helpers!) This role works great for an individual OR a pair!
2. LRC News – Whittier Reads
The Whittier LRC is excited to announce another opportunity for family reading this winter.
Our BE WHO YOU ARE theme this school year has focused on building our LRC collection to be more inclusive of literature representing different families, cultures, ideas, and circumstances.
In February and March, we would like to focus on building understanding of the very sensitive issues of poverty and/or homelessness. Similar to One Book, One School, I will be offering books for sale at a very generous 30% discount from Anderson’s. Please see link below to order books. Book orders are due by February 15, 2016
All students are invited to submit entries for the Young Authors competition. Entries are due to the LRC by Friday, February 26, 2016
3. District PTA Upcoming Meetings – SIT Conference February 20th
Building Bridges—A group of District parents that come together to discuss special needs in District 58. Building Bridges has a FB page, Building Bridges Parent/Teacher Group, be sure to like them for ongoing information.
The annual SIT conference will take place in Bensenville on February 20th. This is a technology driven conference for children in grades 3-12. For more information visit
4 . Spring Fundraiser LP4P 2
This year we will auction a piece of artwork created by each grade. Stop by the Jaguar Jungle before or after your teacher conference to get a sneak peek of the masterpieces.
If you are interested in volunteering for this year’s Spring Fundraiser “LP4P 2″ or if you would like to make a donation, please contact:
Michelle Aleksiunas Davis0708@aol.com OR Carrie Grebel Carriegrebel@aol.com
5. Spring Experience planning is underway! We welcome your input and ideas for new experiences for our Spring Fundraiser.
We can also answer any questions in regard to hosting experiences.
Melissa Rausch and Carla Giannelli will have a planning committee meeting on Monday, February 15th at 9:30 am
at Carla’s home (227 2nd Street).
6. Fun Lunch Volunteers Needed
Be kind and register online to volunteer for Fun Lunch. Link is below or go to the PTA Website / Activities / Fun Lunch
7. Science Night
Mark your calendar for Whittier Science Night Wednesday, Feb. 24 at 6:30 p.m. All families are welcome. Further information to come!
We are still looking for some volunteers for the evening, so if you are a scientist, science enthusiast or just plain love to volunteer please contact Wendy Carter or Michelle Rafacz at email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Reading Specialist Christy Gergits available for conferences if interested.
9. Kindergarten Round-Up April 8th from 9:00-10:00 am
Parents with a child who will be five years old on or before September 1, should call the office for registration information. Invitations with registration paperwork will be mailed to those who call the school prior to March 23.If you know of anyone with a child entering Kindergarten in the fall, please direct them to call the school office as soon as possible. This is an adult only event.
- Friday, February 12, 2016: No School
- Monday, February 15, 2016: Spring Fundraising Meeting
- Monday, February 15, 2016: Whittier Reads Book Orders Due
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, February 19, 2016: Fun Lunch Buona Beef
- Wednesday, February 24: Science Night
- Friday, February 26, 2016: Young Author Entries Due to LRC
- Monday, February 29, 2016: Chipotle Family Fun Event
- Thursday, March 3, 2016: Fun Lunch Potbellys
- Friday, March 4, 2016: Teacher Inservice, No School
- Saturday, March 12, 2016: Reading Games
- Tuesday, March 15, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 25, 2016 – Sunday, April 3, 2016: Spring Break, No School
- Friday, April 8, 2016: Fun Lunch Mojos
- Friday, April 8, 2016: Kindergarten Roundup
- Friday, April 8, 2016: Spring Fundraiser LP4P 2
- Tuesday, April 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, April 22, 2016: Fun Lunch Great American Bagel
- Friday, May 6, 2016: Fun Lunch Buona Beef
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, May 30, 2016: Memorial Day, No School
- *Friday, June 3, 2016: Last Day of School
- *June 6 – June 10 possible emergency day