Whittier Weekly: January 20, 2015
“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is, ‘What are you doing for others?’” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
We sincerely thank all of those in the Whittier community who do so much for the students and many others each day!
We hope to see you at tonight’s PTA meeting at which school nurse, Sheri Lopez, will be sharing a “Health Services Update” including information on both excludable and non-excludable health concerns such as head lice and influenza. There will also be updates from some of Whittier’s 2nd and 4th grade teachers. The meeting will begin at 7:00 p.m. and will be held in the Jaguar Jungle. FREE BABYSITTING will be provided for the duration of the meeting. All are welcome.
Mark your calendar now for the remaining PTA meetings of the year as outlined below. Please note the date change for the March meeting.
- February 17th – PTA Meeting
- March 24th – PTA Meeting
- April 21st – Volunteer Opportunity Open House followed by PTA Meeting
- May 19th – PTA Meeting
Are you ready to answer the question, “What are you doing for others?” with the response, “Being a leader within my child(ren)’s school PTA?” The PTA is currently looking for Co-Vice Presidents and Jaguar Jog chairs for the 2015-2016 school year. Interested? Contact Rita Brezina (email@example.com) or Valerie Hardy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you for all of your support!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Ozzie’s Reading Club
Whittier School will again be participating in the Ozzie’s Reading Club. Students can earn a free ticket to a Kane County Cougar’s game, a hot dog and a drink simply by reading everyday starting Tuesday, January 20 through Tuesday, February 24th. This year’s game choices are Sunday, May 3rd or Monday, May 25th.
Attached is the student record sheet due February 26th. Ticket vouchers will arrive in March and be sent home with students who have turned in the attached record sheet.
One Book One School
The PTA and Whittier LRC are so excited that so many families are participating in One Book, One School. Is your family building a miniature room/diorama for our museum walk on Wednesday, January 28th? If you are, please get your completed diorama in to the LRC by Tuesday the 27th. We hope to see you on the 28th–not only for our own “Thorne Room” exhibit, but for our Skype talk with author Marianne Malone as well. Happy Reading!Any questions, please contact Kelly Coleman at email@example.com
More information to come, but mark your calendar for the Spring Fundraiser: March 20th, 7-11:30pm at American Legion Hall.
Help put the “Fun” in the Spring Fundraiser and join us for a planning committee meeting on Thursday, Jan. 29th, 7-9 at the Downers Grove Library Second Floor, Conference Room A. Anyone interested in helping is welcome to attend.
If there are any questions please contact Michelle Aleksiunas firstname.lastname@example.org or
Carrie Grebel email@example.com
Volunteers needed!! Whittier has 10 Destination Imagination teams that are working hard to get ready to compete in the Regional tournament. Each team needs an adult volunteer to work at the tournament as an Appraiser. The volunteers need not be related to the DI team members. Teachers can earn CPDUs for volunteering. Your commitment as an appraiser would be for a 4 hour training session on the morning of Feb. 7 or evening on Feb. 17 and then 8a.m.- 4p.m. at the DI tournament on Feb. 28th. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Wendy Carter @ WENDYLCARTER@att.net or 630-696-0553.
Fun Lunch Winter / Spring Form
- Thursday, January 15: Market Day Pick-Up
- Friday, January 16: Fun Lunch
- Monday, January 19: No School, Martin Luther King Day
- Monday, January 19: Family Fun Breakfast / Lunch, The Baked Apple
- Tuesday, January 20: PTA Meeting, Jaguar Gym
- Friday, January 23: Fun Lunch Orders Due
- Wednesday, January 28: One Book One School Diorama and Skype with Author
- Thursday, January 29: Spring Fundraiser Committee Meeting
- Friday, January 30: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, February 4: Half-Day
- Wednesday, February 11: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Thursday, February 12: Conferences, Regular School Attendance Day
- Friday, February 13: Potbelly Fun Lunch
- Monday, February 16: No School, Presidents’ Day
- Monday, February 23: Science Night
- Friday, February 27: No School, Teacher Institute Day
- Friday, March 6: Brown’s Chicken Fun Lunch
- Friday, March 20: Buona Beef Fun Lunch
- Friday, March 20: Spring Fundraiser
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Friday, April 10: Skuddlebutts Fun Lunch
- Friday, April 24: McDonald’s Fun Lunch
- Friday, May 8: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed