Whittier Weekly: March 24, 2015
“We’re all working together; that’s the secret.”
– Sam Walton
LP4P Spring Fundraiser Thank You:
We think all who attended the LP4P event last Friday night would agree that it was a blast! Carrie Grebel, Michelle Aleksiunas, and their committee did a phenomenal job planning and running this fundraiser. Thank you!!! And a huge thank you also to the generous families who have offered to host an upcoming experience and to all who attended the LP4P event. Everyone played a critical role in making this spring fundraiser such a success.
Tonight’s PTA Meeting:
The March PTA meeting will be held tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Whittier’s gym (a.k.a. the Jaguar Jungle). A few agenda items for the meeting are:
- An update from the playground committee
- A landscaping proposal from the Green Team
- An update from the general PTA fundraising chat held a couple weeks ago
- Proposed revisions to the Whittier PTA bylaws (see below for a copy of the revised bylaws)
- Presentation of the candidates slated for the co-vice president positions for next year
As always, FREE babysitting will be available in the art/activities room during the PTA meeting.
Author Fest Information:
Author Fest is just around the corner! Authors will be visiting Whittier during the week of April 13th. They will also be at the Downers Grove Public Library on the evening of Friday, April 17th for a book purchase and book signing event. This event is open to the public. See attached flyer for more information.
Upcoming PTA Meeting Dates:
- April 21 @ 7:00 p.m. at Whittier (Jaguar Jungle) – PTA Volunteer Fair / Monthly PTA General Membership Meeting
- May 19 @ 7:00 p.m. at Whittier (Jaguar Jungle) – Final Monthly PTA General Membership Meeting of the Year
We are so fortunate to have a wonderful Whittier Community. Thank you for all of your support!
Rita Brezina & Valerie Hardy (PTA Co-Presidents)
Tiffany Kuelthau & Debbie Levinthal (PTA Co-Vice Presidents)
Amy Ihde (PTA Secretary)
Corinne Potter (PTA Treasurer)
Experiences Still Available! Don’t miss out, see link below!
Experience Sign Up WW Blurb for 032415
Social Emotional Learning: Girls and Puberty
Save the Date: Wednesday April 15th from 7-8pm in the Jaguar Gym.
Parent of girls in grades 3rd through 6th grade are invited to a presentation, followed by a question & answer session about the changes our daughters begin to go through as they enter puberty. Sara Felker will present on the Social and Emotional changes. In addition, a pediatrician will be there to discuss the physical changes girls experience during the onset of puberty.
More information to follow. Presented by the Whittier Social Emotional Learning Committee.Please RSVP and send questions you would like answered to Debbie Levinthal at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Authors Are Coming….
Has your family room couch grown lumpy with google-eyed blobs that resemble your children, glued to the screen of their current fancy? Or, conversely, do you never even see them…shouting ‘is your reading done?’ at the dust cloud left hanging where their little bodies used to be? Has the conclusion of OBOS and Reading Games left your family bereft of reading inspiration? Well cue the hero music, my friends, because, like a white knight on a galloping steed, Authors Fest is fast approaching!
Whittier is delighted to host authors Barb Rosenstock and Blue Balliett on April 16 and 17 for the bi-annual PTA Author’s Fest event. Our authors will be speaking to all grade levels*, discussing their many published works and talking to our children about writing, books, and how they do the work they love. They will also be at the Downers Grove Public Library, along with authors Tom Watson and Laura Huliska-Beith, for a book sale and signing on Friday, April 17. Book sale starts at 6:30 PM, with signing to follow from 7-8 PM.
How does this help you with your blobs and disappearing dust-clouders? Elementary, my dear parent pals! Get yourselves to the library or bookstore and pick up a book or two by one of our authors for your kids! Have a question about the book? They can ask the author when they MEET her at school or at the library! Love the book to pieces? Get your copy SIGNED! Little encourages reading more than finding a niche you know you’ll enjoy…maybe these authors are the niche your kids have been looking for! Happy reading!
*Presentations at school will take place in the afternoon. AM Kindergarteners are welcome to return to school with a parent/carer to participate in Authors Fest. Details to follow.
There are only a few more months to stock your freezers with delicious Market Day foods! Brochures went home last week, so please take a look and place an order today. You can call Customer Service at 877-632-7753 or go to marketday.com to order. Only pre-paid orders are accepted! All orders are due by 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, April 11. As always, thank you for your support! If you have any questions, please contact Kellie Miller at (812) 204-4384 or Amy Gassen at (630) 971-0689.
Dates to remember:
Market Day Pick-Up: Thursday, April 16 1:45-2:45 p.m
- Monday, March 30 – Monday, April 6: No School, Spring Break
- Tuesday, April 7: Classes Resume
- Friday, April 10: Kindergarten Round-Up
- Friday, April 10: Skuddlebutts Fun Lunch
- Wednesday, April 15: SEL Presentation: Girls and Puberty
- Thursday, April 16: Market Day Pick-Up (1:45 – 2:45)
- Friday, April 17: Author Fest Book Signing at DG Library
- Friday, April 24: McDonald’s Fun Lunch
- Friday, May 8: Great American Bagel Fun Lunch
- Monday, May 25: No School, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, June 3: Last Day of School if no emergency days are used
- *Wednesday, June 10: Last Day of School
- *June 4-June 10 are emergency days and may be declared holidays if not needed