Whittier Weekly: November 29, 2016
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
- NOW through 12/2 – Give Thanks Student Council Fundraiser – Accepting winter clothing such as coats, snow pants, boots, hats and mittens to donate to Goodwill.
- TONIGHT 11/29 – Special PTA Meeting – 6pm in the LRC (Babysitting will be provided)
- Wed 11/30 – Spirit Day – Dress Like Your Favorite Teacher Day
- Wed 11/30 – Family Math Night (Grades 4-6) 6-8pm
- Thu 12/1 – Fun Lunch Ordering Opens (see below for more info)
- Fri 12/2 – Spirit Day – Wear Whittier Blue/Gold
- Fri 12/2 – FUN LUNCH! – Potbelly’s
- Fun Lunch Ordering
- Holiday Gift Giving
- Six Flags: Read to Succeed Program
1. Fun Lunch Ordering
Ordering for Fun Lunches from January through June of 2017 opens December 1st and will close December 29th. Online orders will not be accepted after this date. If you are already registered, you can log on 12/1 and begin ordering. If you haven’t registered with order lunches, set up and account and begin ordering. Please reach out to Cheri Manney or Geeta Wood with questions.
For the registration letter CLICK HERE
2. Holiday Gift Giving
Help our fellow Whittier families during this holiday season! Please consider taking a Christmas tree from the window outside the school’s main door and buying the gift listed on it. Gifts should be returned to Whittier by December 12 with the original tree attached.
3. Six Flags: Read to Succeed Program
Welcome to the Six Flags® Read to Succeed Six Hour Reading Club!
Your child’s school is participating in an exciting program that encourages students in grades
K through 6 to read for fun. Read to Succeed is a free program sponsored by Six Flags Theme Parks. Every student who completes six hours of recreational reading before the school’s deadline of January 13th is eligible for a free admission ticket, valid at the participating Six Flags Theme Park that the school has selected.
Students will develop a greater appreciation for books when they see that you think reading is important too. You are sure to have fun as you investigate the world of reading together!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Only students in grades K through 6 are eligible to participate.
- Review the reading log here. Your child should use this sheet to record what and how long he/she reads.
- Your child must complete 6 hours, or 360 minutes, of recreational reading.
- Please initial each entry and then sign the reading log to verify that the 6 hours of reading has been completed.
- Your child can read books, magazines, newspapers, or comic books (digital or hard copy). Reading for homework or a class assignment does NOT count.
- Students can read silently, aloud, or with an adult—you can read to your child, or your child can read to you.
- Remind your child to return the reading log to his/her teacher by the deadline. Your child’s school will submit your child’s information and hours read.
- Late entries will NOT be accepted.
About the Tickets
- Tickets will be awarded to students by their teacher/school coordinator.
- The ticket is valid for admission to ONE Six Flags theme park on SELECT DATES ONLY during the 2017 season. Park name and valid dates will be printed on the tickets. Please understand that the school can only select one Six Flags Theme Park. The ticket will only be valid for the park that is listed on the ticket. The valid dates will not be announced prior to the ticket award date in early May.
- Tickets are valid for students in grades K-6 only and are not valid for anyone over the age of 13. No exceptions.
- Each ticket is valid for one free student admission only.
- A Season Pass upgrade offer will be available during the ticket valid dates. The upgrade offer information will be printed on the ticket.
- Tickets are NOT for resale and are nontransferable.
- They cannot be replaced if lost, stolen or damaged.
We hope that you and your child enjoy this free program and spend time reading together. If you have any questions about the program or have ticket questions, you will need to contact your child’s teacher or school before the school year is over.
Deadline to return form to school is January 13th!