Whittier Weekly: October 6, 2015
1. Chess Club Registration Open
2. News from the LRC – Author Visits
3. Request to Donate Magazine Subscriptions
4. Register for Experiences
1. Whittier Elementary School and Chess Scholars present Chess Club with Professional Instruction!
Develop your child’s interest and intellect through the royal game of Chess! Current research has shown a strong link between chess and academic performance in a variety of areas, including mathematics and language arts. Chess has been proven to enhance motivation, concentration, focus, social skills and creativity.
The Fall Session will include 8 classes beginning on Monday, October 19th. There will be no class the week of Thanksgiving. All students K-6th grade can participate. Please contact Mindy Werner (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions. A paper copy of the attached flyer will also come home with your student.
Fall 2015 Chess Scholars Flyer Whittier school
2. News From the LRC – Author Visit
On Thursday, October 15th, Whittier 4th, 5th, and 6th graders will have a visit with Newbery Award-winning author Avi and Caldecott Award-winning author Brian Floca.
Avi was honored with the Newbery Medal for Crispin: Cross of Lead and a Newbery Honor for Nothing but the Truth. He is best known for several works of historical fiction, including The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and The Man Who Was Poe.
Brian Floca is the author and illustrator of Locomotive, which won the 2014 Caldecott Medal, as well as other favorites such as Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11. He has also illustrated the work of other authors, such as Kate Messner’s Marty McGuire novels. Brian’s books have also received four Robert F. Sibert Honor awards, a silver medal from the Society of Illustrators, and were selected twice for The New York Times’ annual 10 Best Illustrated Books list.
Students will have the opportunity to order their new collaboration, Old Wolf, and have it personalized by both author and illustrator. See the attached flier.AviBrianFloca_1015_Whittier
3. Request for Donated Magazine Subscriptions for the LRC
We are looking for some families to make a contribution to the LRC at Whittier by sponsoring a magazine subscription. Interested families can review the list of magazines and subscription rates here and send a check (payable to Whittier PTA) to Theresa Johnson through backpack mail.
Magazines provide a unique opportunity to get children interested in reading while developing the critical academic skills they’ll need in the years to come. The selection of magazines offered is wide ranging and will certainly appeal to boys and girls of all ages and interests.
With parent contributions we’ll get a full year of issues in the LRC. Your help in making this valuable resource a part of our kids education is greatly appreciated!
Thank you, once again, to all of the generous families hosting these events for our Whittier community! Thanks to those people who have already signed up to support our PTA through these fun activities!
The following experiences from the Jaguar Jog have spots remaining:
- Mother/Son Night – November 5th, 6:30-8:00p.m. – $25/family
- True Balance Karate – November 6th, 4:30-5:15p.m. – $10/child
- Winter Wonderland – December 6th, 11:30-1:30 – $40/family
- Cookie Decorating – December 12th, 3:00-4:30 – $25/child
- Movie Night – January 8th, 6:00-8:00p.m. – $10/child
- Cooking Class – January 21st, 7:00-10:00p.m. – $35/adult
- American Girl Tea Party – January 31st, 1:00-2:30p.m. – $25/child
- Father/Daughter night – February 25th, 6:30-8:00p.m. – $30/family
Invoices will go out by next week for those who did not have a credit card form on file for the event. Please pay invoices promptly with checks made out to the Whittier PTA. These can be sent into the office via backpack mail if in an envelope marked PTA Experiences. Feel free to drop them directly at my home mailbox if you feel more comfortable with your checks going through that channel.
See the attached document for further information on the available experiences, or to recall the dates of events you already signed up for! Jaguar Jog Experiences 2015
Also, if you have already signed up for experiences, watch your email for evites as the events come closer.
Mark Your Calendars
- Monday, October 5 – Wednesday, October 7: Camp Edwards
- Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 1:00, Longfellow: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 6:30, Herrick: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Friday, October 9, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Friday, October 9, 2015: Whittier Blue and Gold Spirit Day
- Monday, October 12, 2015: Columbus Day, No School
- Tuesday, October 13, 2015: Teachers Institute No School
- Friday, October 16, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Friday, October 16, 2015: Whittier Blue and Gold Spirit Day
- Friday, October 16, 2015: Fun Lunch
- Monday, October 19, 2015 at 12:30, Longfellow: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Monday, October 19, 2015 at 6:30, Herrick: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Tuesday, October 20, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Tuesday, October 20, 2015: Draw Your Destiny Assemblies
- Friday, October 23, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Tuesday, October 27, 2015: Variety Show TECH Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Tuesday, November 3, 2015: Variety Show Stage Crew Dry Run 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Wednesday, November 4, 2015: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Friday, November 6, 2015: Variety Show School Performance
- Thursday, November 12, 2015: Variety Show Tivoli Rehearsal 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Saturday, November 14, 2015: Variety Show at the Tivoli
- Tuesday, November 24, 2015 – Friday, November 27, 2015: Thanksgiving Holiday, No School
- Tuesday, December 8, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, December 21, 2015 – Sunday, January 3, 2016: Winter Break, No School
- Monday, January 18, 2016: Martin Luther King Day, No School
- Tuesday, January 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, February 12, 2016: No School
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 4, 2016: Teacher Inservice, No School
- Tuesday, March 15, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 25, 2016 – Sunday, April 3, 2016: Spring Break, No School
- Friday, April 8, 2016: Spring Fundraiser LP4P 2
- Tuesday, April 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, May 30, 2016: Memorial Day, No School
- *Friday, June 3, 2016: Last Day of School
- *June 6 – June 10 possible emergency days