Whittier Weekly: September 29, 2015
Save the date for the Spring Fundraiser
Let’s Play for the Playground 2 (LP4P 2)
Friday April 8, 2016
2. News from the LRC – Once Book One School
3. Whittier Wear Online Shop is Open
4. Yearbooks Available for Order
Thank you, once again, to all of the generous families hosting these events for our Whittier community! Thanks to those people who have already signed up to support our PTA through these fun activities!
The following experiences from the Jaguar Jog have spots remaining:
- Mother/Son Night – November 5th, 6:30-8:00p.m. – $25/family
- True Balance Karate – November 6th, 4:30-5:15p.m. – $10/child
- Winter Wonderland – December 6th, 11:30-1:30 – $40/family
- Cookie Decorating – December 12th, 3:00-4:30 – $25/child
- Movie Night – January 8th, 6:00-8:00p.m. – $10/child
- American Girl Tea Party – January 31st, 1:00-2:30p.m. – $25/child
- Father/Daughter night – February 25th, 6:30-8:00p.m. – $30/family
Please email Rita Brezina at email@example.com to sign up!
Invoices will go out by next week for those who did not have a credit card form on file for the event. Please pay invoices promptly with checks made out to the Whittier PTA. These can be sent into the office via backpack mail if in an envelope marked PTA Experiences. Feel free to drop them directly at my home mailbox if you feel more comfortable with your checks going through that channel.
See the attached document for further information on the available experiences, or to recall the dates of events you already signed up for! Jaguar Jog Experiences 2015
Also, if you have already signed up for experiences, watch your email for evites as the events come closer.
2. News from the LRC
The Whittier LRC, in conjunction with the PTA, is happy to announce our 2nd annual One Book, One School family reading program.
One Book, One School is a unique learning opportunity for all Whittier families. Research has consistently proven the many benefits of parents reading with their children:
- Reading together allows families to bond over books!
- Reading aloud to children helps them achieve academic success.
- Read-alouds expose children to rich, sophisticated vocabulary that they may not be ready to comprehend on their own.
- Parents who read with their children are modeling both literacy skills and lifelong learning habits.
- Reading with a parent can boost a child’s self esteem and communication skills.
With the One Book, One School program, our goal is to build a community of readers at Whittier. The title we have chosen for this year’s OBOS is R.J. Palacio’s Wonder, a book we feel can be followed and understood by our younger students, as well as captivate and stimulate our older students. We are hoping that every family will read at home from October 5th – October 30th.
If you would like to participate, the books will be available for purchase through the LRC. We are asking that you order one book per family. After discounts through Anderson’s Bookshop and the generosity of the PTA, the cost of Wonder in hardcover is only $8! Please use the order form on the bottom of the page and return with $8 by Friday, October 2nd.
You will receive your copy of the book by Monday, October 5th, along with a suggested reading schedule. Throughout the month of October, students will be invited to participate in trivia contests. Resources, including at-home activities for families and suggestions for further reading, will be provided via the Whittier LRC Web page and the Whittier Weekly. As a culminating activity to our book study, the LRC and PTA will host a community-wide event on Monday, November 3rd, from 6:30-8:00 PM.
We are very excited to bring this program to Whittier, and hope that you and your family are excited to take this opportunity to read and learn together.
Yours in books,
For the order form, please click here News from the LRC One Book One School Order Form
To learn about the LRC Community-Wide Reading Program Whittier Reads as well as the October One Book, One School choice, click here Newsletter_OneBookOneSchool
3. The Whittier Wear Store is Open!
It is an online store, that is very quick and easy to use!
The store closes on September 30, so please get orders in soon. Items will be delivered to your students at school a few weeks after the store closes!
4. Whittier Elementary School Yearbooks
Go to www.TreeRing.com/validate school passcode: 1014182290971322 and order your child’s school yearbook. Included in the yearbook are two free custom pages for you to add your own memories and photos. Save 15% off the price of $14.87 if purchased by September 30.
The PTA Reflections theme for 2015-16 has been announced: “Let Your Imagination Fly…” Students may begin brainstorming and creating their projects over the summer to get a head start on Reflections for next year!
PTA Reflections welcomes all grades and abilities to explore and be involved in the arts. Students are asked to reflect the theme and create original works of art in the categories of:
- dance choreography
- film production
- music composition
- visual arts
Entries may be turned in anytime from Sept through early Nov. More specific dates will be announced next school year. Students can go to the National PTA website for specific rules.
Mark Your Calendars
- Wednesday, September 30, 2015: Whittier Wear Store Closes
- Friday, October 2, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Friday, October 2, 2015: Whittier Blue and Gold Spirit Day
- Friday, Oct 2, 2015: Fun Lunch
- Monday, October 5 – Wednesday, October 7: Camp Edwards
- Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 1:00, Longfellow: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 6:30, Herrick: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Friday, October 9, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Friday, October 9, 2015: Whittier Blue and Gold Spirit Day
- Monday, October 12, 2015: Columbus Day, No School
- Tuesday, October 13, 2015: Teachers Institute No School
- Friday, October 16, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Friday, October 16, 2015: Whittier Blue and Gold Spirit Day
- Friday, October 16, 2015: Fun Lunch
- Monday, October 19, 2015 at 12:30, Longfellow: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Monday, October 19, 2015 at 6:30, Herrick: Parent Tech Support Meeting / Parent Learning and Assessment
- Tuesday, October 20, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Tuesday, October 20, 2015: Draw Your Destiny Assemblies
- Friday, October 23, 2015: Variety Show Rehearsal 3:00-4:00
- Tuesday, October 27, 2015: Variety Show TECH Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Tuesday, November 3, 2015: Variety Show Stage Crew Dry Run 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Wednesday, November 4, 2015: Variety Show Dress Rehearsal 3:00-6:00 MANDATORY
- Friday, November 6, 2015: Variety Show School Performance
- Thursday, November 12, 2015: Variety Show Tivoli Rehearsal 3:00-5:00 MANDATORY
- Saturday, November 14, 2015: Variety Show at the Tivoli
- Tuesday, November 24, 2015 – Friday, November 27, 2015: Thanksgiving Holiday, No School
- Tuesday, December 8, 2015: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, December 21, 2015 – Sunday, January 3, 2016: Winter Break, No School
- Monday, January 18, 2016: Martin Luther King Day, No School
- Tuesday, January 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, February 12, 2016: No School
- Tuesday, February 16, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 4, 2016: Teacher Inservice, No School
- Tuesday, March 15, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Friday, March 25, 2016 – Sunday, April 3, 2016: Spring Break, No School
- Friday, April 8, 2016: Spring Fundraiser LP4P 2
- Tuesday, April 19, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Tuesday, May 17, 2016: General PTA Meeting
- Monday, May 30, 2016: Memorial Day, No School
- *Friday, June 3, 2016: Last Day of School
- *June 6 – June 10 possible emergency days